Lawmakers from both parties worry that President Donald Trump’s hesitation to move ahead with U.S. arms sales to Taiwan may be a gift to China.
Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao told the Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee on Thursday that $14 billion in congressionally approved arms sales to Taipei was on “pause” in order “to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury” operations in Iran.
Never mind that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth a week earlier told lawmakers the munition issue had been “foolishly and unhelpfully overstated” and that the United States has “all the munitions needed.” Cao’s statement made later landed with a thud.